Monday, April 6, 2020

I'm staying home because they told me to...

This weekend our governor ordered us to stay at home.  There was a press conference and some graph charts, and the most amazing sign language interpreter I have ever seen.  In one week our coronavirus numbers grew substantially.  Cell phone data shows the individual locations of cell phone users.  Yes, they are tracking you just like those detective shows said they would.  Regardless, the results showed people weren't listening.  people are gathering and causing the virus to spread.  For our family, we have been listening.  However, it was a bit of a wake-up call as we realized not everyone really was.  It's hard not to go anywhere, not to see friends.  I totally get that, trust me!  As we read up on the virus and its symptoms, we couldn't help but feel a little scared.  You cough constantly, you have fever, you feel horrible.  People are going to the hospital and having to be alone.  We need each other, we love each other, we don't want to be apart.  So, we changed our direction a bit and decided to close up our open door policy.  This weekend we kept to ourselves and enjoyed our time with just our immediate family.  We've stopped playing with friends and neighbors in an effort to protect ourselves and them.  So far, we've survived and its been better than we thought.   Its been nice to see the kids interacting together.  They really do love each other.  Sometimes we forget that in the arguments and fits.  They are such a blessing to watch. 

I just used instacart and ordered the weeks groceries.  I'm not sure if Jason is grateful or if he liked getting out of the house, but his services are no longer required!  Hopefully its the right decision.  Less exposure to the outside seems safer.  However, it is one more person I don't know touching my food.  So I brought the groceries in and wiped every single item down with a clorox wipe.  Really, this is what we are doing now.  And that might be the single best reason to not order alot of groceries.  Who wants to do that every time, with every single thing?  It makes you think who has touched this banana?  How many hands have touched this banana?!  The guy who picked it, the guy who put it in the big delivery truck, the guy who dropped it off at publix, the clerk that put it in the produce section, and my instacart delivery person.  That's at least 5 people...and I'm sure someone might have picked them up and maybe put them back?  And don't they sometimes rearrange the produce, that's one more person.  Did they all wash their hands?  Every time they touched their face or something else?  Definitely a no.  Did I really do a good job wiping these things down?  How can there not be one germ on them?!  And that's just for my banana!  I bought over $200 in groceries!  Definitely shouldn't have bought the brussel sprouts, no protection from outside sources.  It's a rabbit hole that goes pretty far when you have time to think while wiping down all the things.  We are definitely living on a prayer and God's protection.

So we have crazy moments in the brain that make you have to take a break and go outside.  Heidi knew about the fresh air in the alps and we definitely know about it in the cove.  It heals you.  The fresh air is good for the soul.  We've had some amazing family walks that clear that crazy right out of the head so that you can refocus on what's important.  These moments together.  These little people.  This wonderful husband.  I have no doubt in my mind that God is using this to strengthen the family unit.  And when I think about that as my purpose, it makes me a little more conscious of the crazy and the fighting and the fear.  And it makes me desire memorable moments together.  It makes me desire to be closer to my children, to strengthen our ties together.  Here are some awesome moments captured from our weekend.






No comments:

Post a Comment